Wednesday 11 September 2013

A SPECIAL NIGHT... SHRIMPING. Part 3.

This is a story, called 'A special night, that I wrote about a night that Paul and I did a reportage on SHRIMPING.

Part 3.

1 ...


Here you have an overview, I thought it would be interesting to show the different stages!
On Belgian boats the shrimps are boiled on board in between each trek. Most of those boats don't have refrigeration, but raw shrimps must never be put onto melting ice anyway, so they'd have to be packed instantly. These fishermen prefer the old method.

2 ...We looked at each other, and as so often on the same wavelength, we burst out laughing, unable to stop, drunk with fatigue and mirth. We hugged, then crawled back into our berths.
The cadenza changed, waking me. I listened, Paul was in deep sleep. Faint light filtered in through the hatch. I felt around for my stuff, tried to put some decency into my appearance, and, oh so quietly, I felt my way up.
What I saw was stunning. The promise of sun, early rays illuminating the last darkness of night, the sea a pregnant black mass of lapping water-peaks.
It felt as if the iodine scented air was sucked deep into my brain, triggering memories of earlier summers.

As the sun rose in orange glory, offsetting the blue ever more, I saw all the other trawlers on the horizon.



3 ......In our foaming wake, a shrieking battle was going on between hungry seagulls, their agility never ceased to amaze me.
I retrieved my camera and eternalised these beautiful moments.

Well, morning was upon us, we were heading back to land, I'll take you all the way, three more images, hope you enjoy.
Difficult light conditions, still too light for the one, too dark already for the other, c'est dure la vie de photographe, hihi.


4 ...Gradually the air warmed up, the light becoming brighter. The end of a hard night, the start of a glorious day.
Paul appeared, still looking a bit rough, but with a happy grin around the lips.
His cameras on the ready he was now in full swing. Our smiling eyes met briefly, we were on the same level here, I could so intensely sense his joy and elation. This was the light in delight!
As the coast became more visible on the pale horizon, I tried to identify the different towers, then buildings and landmarks.
All the boats chuffing hurriedly in the same direction, the harbour, home!


The activity on board was over, everything cleaned up, the guys were inside, tired and rushing home, the race was on again!
We were so happy to catch that first morning light at sea!!! Seeing the world around us again...distance, wonderful.
Always liked the two 'boat' photos, the one in the evening and the one in the morning, such different light but there seems to be another rhythm, or is that my imagination?

5 ...…As the coast became more visible on the dark horizon, I tried to identify the different towers, then buildings and landmarks. The elegant, tall and slim lighthouse a welcoming sight, she’s called ‘Long Nell’, I couldn't help thinking how many before me must have been either elated or heavyhearted to see her…

Night is in the distance, the water calmer,we were emptying our cameras (finishing our films) in silence and pure inner joy and awe, drunk with fatigue and euphoria.
As we passed the two pier heads, a greeting was shouted over the radio.
Alongside the main pier, a line of waiting sailing boats. Full of well rested people, looking forward to a day at sea, the guests waving, the crew sorting out ropes and sails.



6 ...Soon we were where we had started. Danny and Sylvain helped us up the quay with all our gear.
Their boat ship shape, ready for the next evening, their catch neatly stacked for the auction.

We thanked them and said good-bye. Sylvain adjusted a few last details, happily chewing his small cigar. Danny climbed back up and awkwardly put two plastic bags next to us. Shrugging his shoulders, he indicated this was for us. I saw the shiny prawns, the other bag filled with Dover sole! I immediately offered to pay, but he wouldn't hear of it. This was our share!

Amazingly I saw Paul changing as soon as he set foot on Terra ferma.
Me, I was swaying, my legs trembling. I had the sea in my legs! The earth was moving, I felt drunk after this cocktail of excitement, beauty, adventure and no sleep.
As we drove off, we looked back, it was 7.20.
The sea was getting ready for its next set of visitors, it seemed.
The town was also waking up and preening itself in the sunshine, the council cleaners spraying and cleaning the streets. Shopkeepers putting their wares out, looking hopefully at the clement skies.
I stopped the car at a baker; the smell of fresh bread tickled my nostrils and teased my now very hungry stomach. I ordered fresh rolls and when I picked up the bag, it was warm.
We rushed home.

Changed and refreshed we sipped our breakfast coffee. It tasted better than ever. We had so much to talk about, all these deep emotions that we had experienced.
Around 9 o'clock, we decided to try and get some sleep. Of course we were overtired, so we had the giggles about silly things, gently laughing ourselves to sleep.

My last memory is whispering to Paul, that I would never complain about the price of shrimps and fish again, having experienced first hand, and in summer, what a tough job these people have. I tried to imagine what it must be like in the cold and during the winter storms and bzzzzzzzz...

So, that's it, hope you've enjoyed it.

Thank you for your reactions, have a great day, Magda (*_*)

IT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN (BY LAW!!!) TO USE ANY OF MY images or TEXT on websites, blogs or any other media without my explicit permission. © All rights reserved

No comments: